Saturday, March 19, 2011

Week Four

The amount of time I spend reading as opposed to doing other things (watching TV, playing games on the Wii, attempting to have a social life, ect.) depends on the time of the year. During the summer I usually tend to read a lot more because I have a lot more free time. During the school year, sometimes its hard to do a lot of reading because doing school work and things like that are more important than just reading for fun. (Plus in the spring I have track practice, too.) It also depends on if I a book that I want to read. I've pretty much always liked reading so its not very hard for me to sit down and read for a couple hours at a time but I am sometimes very picky about the books I like to read.

Alright now to what I have read this week. I finished up A Crack in the Line this week and decided that I didn't really like it so I probably won't be blindly picking out random books at the library anymore. :/

But on a more positive note I also read The Hunger Games, which I thought was fantastic. It is set in the future in a country called Panem. In this country there were thirteen districts, but then there was a war and one of the districts was eliminated. Panem is a pretty poor country unless you live in the Capitol. The main character in the story, Katniss Everdean, lives in district twelve where many of the people die of starvation. Every year to remind the citizens of Panem of the power of the Capitol, of the war that eliminated the thirteenth district, they host the Hunger Games. In every district two people between the ages of twelve and eighteen, a boy and a girl, are chosen to compete in the games. Now the Hunger Games isn't just some sporting event, it's a fight to the death. There can only be one winner. Katniss and Peeta are the two from district twelve who end up going to the games. For these two their only connection to the outside world is their mentor, Haymitch, who won the games almost thirty years ago. The only problem is he is hardly ever sober. After a week of training and such the twenty-four competitors are put in a very large arena, with a lake and woods and things like that, to fight it out. Some of the competitors are killed right away, some last for a week or so, and only three make it to the final battle, Katniss, Peeta, and a boy from district one. But who will win?

I thought this book was really good and I can't wait to read Catching Fire (I have it on hold at the library :) ).


I read for 9 1/2 hours this week.

Total Time: 38 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment